AFC Mansfield

Archive Match Reports 2015/2016

Click on the result to view the Match Report

Saturday 16th April 2016
Hull United 1 - 3 AFC Mansfield

Tuesday 12th April 2016
Glasshoughton Welfare 1 - 4 AFC Mansfield

Wednesday 6th April 2016
AFC Mansfield 3 - 1 Yorkshire Amateurs
courtesy of

Saturday 26th March 2016
Knaresborough Town 0 - 1 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 19th March 2016
AFC Mansfield 2 - 0 Eccleshill United

Saturday 12th March 2016
Selby Town 2 - 2 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 5th March 2016
AFC Mansfield 1 - 0 Hull United AFC

Saturday 27th February 2016
Grimsby Borough 0 - 1 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 20th February 2016
AFC Mansfield 0 - 1 Hemsworth MW

Saturday 13th February 2016
Dronfield Town 1 - 2 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 30th January 2016
Winterton Rangers 4 - 1 AFC Mansfield

Wednesday 27th January 2016
AFC Mansfield 5 - 0 Hall Road Rangers

Saturday 23rd January 2016
AFC Mansfield 1 - 1 Westella VIP

Tuesday 19th January 2016
Hallam 3 - 1 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 16th January 2016
Teversal 1 - 0 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 9th January 2016
AFC Mansfield 2 - 0 Bottesford Town

Saturday 2nd January 2016
Penistone Church 2 - 3 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 26th December 2015
AFC Mansfield 1 - 1 Shirebrook Town

Saturday 19th December 2015
Lincoln Moorlands R. 0 - 5 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 5th December 2015
Rossington Main 2 - 3 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 28th November 2015
AFC Mansfield 3 - 5 AFC Emley

Saturday 21st November 2015
FA VASE 2nd Round
AFC Mansfield 1 - 1 Alsager Town

Saturday 14th November 2015
AFC Mansfield 9 - 0 Worsborough Bridge Athletic

Wednesday 11th November 2015
AFC Mansfield 1 - 2 Sherwood Colliery

Saturday 7th October 2015
Shirebrook Town 0 - 0 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 31st October 2015
AFC Mansfield 3 - 1 Glasshoughton Welfare

Saturday 24th October 2015
AFC Mansfield 1 - 1 Knaresborough Town

Saturday 17th October 2015
Eccleshill United 1 - 3 AFC Mansfield

Tuesday 13th October 2015
Notts Senior Cup 1st Round
Bulwell FC 2 - 6 AFC Mansfield

Saturday 10th October 2015
AFC Mansfield 3 - 1 Selby Town

Wednesday 7th October 2015
AFC Mansfield 1 - 2 Penistone Church

Wednesday 30th September 2015
AFC Mansfield 12 - 2 Lincoln Moorlands Railway

Saturday 26th September 2015
AFC Mansfield 6 - 0 Grimsby Borough

Saturday 19th September 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League
Division One
Hemsworth MW 0 – 2 AFC Mansfield
AFC Mansfield put in a professional performance to further extend their lead at the top of the league against previously undefeated Hemsworth Miners Welfare.

Goals from Joe Cheeseman and Phil Buxton in the first half sealed the victory in front of a crowd of 92.

It was the home side that had the better of the early exchanges.  After just 6 minutes a goalmouth scramble led to 3 shots on goal being blocked by AFC defenders as Hemsworth looked more likely to score first.

On 18 minutes Billy Law had his effort from 12 yards saved by Jason White after the former Scarborough striker had got in behind the visitors back line.

The Bulls gradually forced their way into the game and on 37 minutes Ryan Williams delivered the perfect free kick into the box for Joe Cheeseman.  The centre half glanced his header past the outstretched arms of Chris Snaith in the home goal and the visitors had made the breakthrough.

AFC Mansfield doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when a Jimmy Ghaichem cross from the right took a deflection that saw it spinning towards the far post.  Phil Buxton was quickest to react stabbing the ball home off the post.

Hemsworth could rightly feel aggrieved as they had the lion’s share of the play but couldn’t finish.

The 2nd half was a totally different affair.  The Bulls tightened up at the back and as a testament to the superb performance from their back four Hemsworth didn’t have a decent shot on goal.

The visitors did suffer an early setback when central defender Grant Allott limped off with an ankle injury but club captain Chris Timons made an ideal replacement and slotted seamlessly into the back line.

Right Back Perry Marriott made some great runs forward in the first half and Left Back Adon Spencer did the same in the second.  Both players forcing saves out of Snaith.

There was some good action inside both boxes but no real chances to add to the goals in the first half.

So The Bulls hold on to top spot with the increasingly impressive Bottesford Town hot on their heels.

Hemsworth MW: Snaith, Wilson A, Clark, Swift, Viggars, Steer, Connolly (Hayward 82), Yates (c), Blair, Law, Jones (Pugh 61).  Subs not used: Thompson

AFC Mansfield: White, Marriott, Spencer, Allott (Timons 49), Cheeseman, Naylor, Williams, Buxton, Rick (Haslam 82), Mitchell, Ghaichem.  Subs not used: Wilson, Hartshorn & Brewin.

Perry Marriott
Referee: Mr Sam Wright (South Yorks.)
Assistants: Mr Steve Beresford (South Yorks.) & Mr Jamie Cogill (South Yorks.)

Attendance: 92

Man of the Match: Perry Marriott


Wednesday 16th September 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League
Division One
AFC Mansfield 2 - 1 Teversal

This local derby proved to as feisty as had been predicted.  Visitors Teversal desperately wanted to get back to winning ways having only picked up 4 points from their last 5 games.  AFC Mansfield by contrast have now taken maximum points from their last 5 games.  Added to this 7 players in the Teversal squad were ex AFC players and it was bound to be a lively game.

The game started at a good pace and Teversal made their intentions clear from the start, giving away a few free-kicks with some full blooded challenges.

The first chance of the game came on just 2 minutes a Ryan Williams free-kick turned around the post by Neil West in the visitors goal.  West came to the rescue on 14 minutes, this time turning a stinging shot from Craig Mitchell over the bar.  From the resulting corner West was again in action blocking a chance from Dean Rick before conceding a further corner.

Another corner on 22 minutes found the head of Grant Allott and he powered the ball past West to open the scoring.

Richard Guest could have had Teversal back on level terms on 26 minutes.  His backward header looped over Jason White but crashed against the bar before White collected the loose ball.

The Bulls thought they had doubled their lead on 34 minutes when Rick fired a low drive past West from the edge of the box only to see the assistants flag raised for offside.

The Bulls made an early change when Jimmy Ghaichem limped off to be replaced by Declan Brewin on 38 minutes.  Two booking in the final minutes of the half, one for each side as the game reached boiling point.

Teversal changed tack slightly and started to play some football as they chased the game in the 2nd half.  Guest guilty on missing a couple of clear chances to get the visitors back into the game around the hour mark.  At the other end Mitchell saw his effort blocked by Jason Gregory after getting behind the Teversal defence.

Guest missed the target again on 75 minutes as Teversal pushed on in search of an equaliser.

The visitors were left to rue the missed chances when Mitchell got behind them down the right flank and fired a low driven pass into the 6 yard box.  Dean Rick got in front of his marker and fired past West from 4 yards to make it 2-0.

Rick hit the side netting on 82 minutes after being set up by Ryan Williams.  Jake Park, Williams and Rick combined on 85 minutes to set up a glorious opportunity for Mitchell but the Bulls top scorer blazed his 12 yard drive over the bar.

Teversal eventually pulled a goal back on 87 minutes when Brett Watson swung a leg a lifted the ball over a group of players in the AFC box from 12 yards to make it a nervous end to the game for The Bulls.

Referee Joshua Bramhall blew the final whistle to send AFC Mansfield to the top of the league.  For Teversal, if they can replicate that amount of effort and commitment it won't be long before they are back to winning ways.  All in all a typical local derby with lots of talking points whichever side of the fence you sit on.

Dean Rick
AFC Mansfield: White, Marriott, Dudley, Allott, Cheeseman, Naylor, Williams, Buxton (Park 80), Rick, Mitchell, Ghaichem (Brewin 38).  Subs not used: Timons, Spencer & Wilson.

Referee: Mr Joshua Bramhall (South Yorkshire)
Assistants: Mr David Maran (Derbys.) & Mr Chris Pimperton (Notts.)

Attendance: 175

Man of the Match: Dean Rick


Saturday 12th September 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League
Division One
AFC Mansfield 2 – 0 Dronfield Town

This game was never likely to match the entertainment dished out in the week with 6 goals scored in the 1st half and so it proved.  The first half ended goalless and there were very few chances to speak off.  The home side had their best chances in the opening 15 minutes and they all came through Craig Mitchell.  Firstly he pulled a 15 yard low drive wide of the far post on 10 minutes.  Next the striker forced a superb save out of Steven Booth on 14 minutes.  
Jake Park gets a good cross in

The opposition keeper acrobatically turned Mitchell’s edge of the box drive over the bar.  Mitchell then hit the side netting a minute later after good work from Dean Rick.
Dean Rick on the ball

Dronfield worked very hard to deny The Bulls any attacking space and the game got a little scrappy as the half wore on.  All the crowd could hope for was a little more goalmouth action in the 2nd half.

The 2nd half was just 6 minutes old when the home side took the lead.  A poor throw out by Booth found the feet of Rick who raced into the box.  With Booth closing him down the striker calmly squared the ball to Craig Mitchell who fire home from about 12 yards.

4 minutes later and The Bulls had doubled their lead, a Ryan Williams corner was met on the far post by Grant Allott.  He headed the ball back across goal and Joe Cheeseman rose above the pack to plant his header beyond the hands of Booth.

With Cheeseman and Allott in commanding form keeper Jason White had an easy day and didn’t really have a save to make .

Further chances came AFC’s way, on 65 minutes Williams saw his 25 yard free kick come back off the bar with Booth well beaten.
The ball crashes against the bar from a Ryan Williams free-kick

In the final minutes a trademark run from Carl Haslam should have bought a third goal.  His slinking run taking him past 3 defenders and with the keeper beaten his low drive went inches past the far post.

Carl haslam and Jimmy Ghaichem threaten the Dronfield goal.

Manager Rudy Funk had this to say after the match “Dronfield had done their homework and came with a game plan and it worked well for the first 45.  But we are a patient side and we believe in our ability to score.  We do keep the ball well and teams wear themselves out trying to close us down.  But eventually we always find a way through”.

The Bulls turn their attentions to Wednesday night and a local derby against Teversal FC.  Due to the unavailability of The Forest Town Arena the game will be played at Clipstone FC’s Worksop Van Hire Stadium.  AFC Mansfield would like to thank Clipstone for helping us fulfil this fixture.

AFC Mansfield: White, Marriott, Dudley, Allott, Cheeseman, Naylor, Williams (Haslam 75), Park (Buxton 56), Rick (Brewin 84), Mitchell, Ghaichem.  Subs not used: Sowter & Wilson

Dronfield Town: Booth, Dickinson, Butler (C), Wilson H, Hague, Darlow, Anthony, Sezarano, Savage C (Mulgrew 74), Naylor (Bebbington 56), Savage J (Hoyland 66).  Subs not used: Morley & Massey.
Joe Cheeseman

Referee: Mr Mehdi Najefi (South Yorks.)
Assistants: Mr Stephen Lazenby (South Yorks.) & Mr Stephen Sears (Notts.)

Attendance: 72

Man of the Match: Joe Cheeseman


Wednesday 9th September 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One
AFC Emley 3 - 5 AFC Mansfield

This game highlighted the sublime attacking prowess of both teams and equally displayed some disastrous defending from both.

The Bulls were without Captain Chris Timons, central defender Grant Allott, midfielder Phil Buxton and of course super sub Carl haslam for the trip to Emley.  A little shuffling of the pack was required by Manager Rudy Funk along with the addition of new signing Jake Park an attacking midfielder from Gainsborough Trinity.

The Bulls got off to the perfect start when in the 2nd minute Dean Rick got on the end of a Ryan Williams through ball to calmly lift it over the advancing Adam lawlor to open the scoring.

The lead however lasted just 3 minutes when Ash Flynn capitalised on some weak defending to bring the scores level.  It got worse for the visitors on 12 minutes when Flynn was brought down 20 yards out and picked himself up to hit a rasping free-kick that Jason White got a hand to but could not stop from hitting the back of the net.

The game took a breather and it wasn't until the 25th minute that another goal came.  After Jimmy Ghaichem had been upended out on the left flank Williams delivered a superb cross which was met by the glancing head of Craig Mitchell to level the game again.

Once again the 141 in attendance didn't have to wait long to see another goal as Emley went in front 3 minutes later. Flynn again providing the finishing touch inside the box after more woeful defending.

Parity was restored in this goalfest on 37 minutes when Jake Park and Ghaichem linked up well to feed Mitchell down the right.  The strikers cross to the far post was superbly met on the volley by Williams and the ball flashed by Lawlor and into the net.

Danny Naylor saw his 25 yard effort parried by Lawlor before being hooked away to safety as The Bulls showed a glimpse of what was to come in the 2nd half.

When the whistle blew for the break both managers trudged off and neither looked happy with what they had just witnessed.

Emley had the first chance of the half after a couple of minutes but Ryan failed to hit the target.  On the hour mark Williams cut inside an unleashed a curling drive that Lawlor just managed to tip over the bar.

AFC Mansfield took the lead on 65 minutes when Rick got on the end of a through ball rounded Lawlor and fired home from 12 yards.

Obviously whatever was said in the Mansfield dressing room worked because the defence restricted Flynn and Ryan to very few chances.  At the other end Williams and Ghaichem were at times unplayable as they tormented the home defence.

The game was settled by debutant Jake Park with 10 minutes to go, again good work by Naylor, Williams and Ghaichem the ball eventually finding the feet of Park whose initial effort was blocked.  The ball however came back to him and this time he drilled a 15 yard effort into the back of the net.

The Bulls introduced Declan Brewin in the last 5 minutes and his strong running threatened to increase the lead but the home side held on.  A good 3 points away from home at a ground where many teams will struggle.

AFC Mansfield now move onto Saturday and a home game against Dronfield Town.

AFC Emley: Lawlor, Scrivens, Ryan, Slack, Jerome (C), Brennan (Leech 45), Graham (Spicer 79), Coduri, Flynn, Ryan, Jordan (Hallam 71).  Sub not used: Cooper
Man of the Match

AFC Mansfield: White, Wilson, Dudley, Marriott, Cheeseman, Naylor, Williams, Park, Rick (Brewin 85), Mitchell, Ghaichem.  Subs not used: Spencer & Sowter.

Referee: Mr Neil Munday (West Yorkshire)
Assistants: Mr Michael Brown & Mr Dwayne Chappell

Attendance: 141

Man of the Match: Ryan Williams


Saturday 29th August 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One
AFC Mansfield 8 – 0 Winterton Rangers
The Bulls completed an unbeaten August in the league with an emphatic 8-0 victory over basement club Winterton Rangers.  A hat-trick for Captain and Man of the Match Dean Rick with a brace from top goalscorer Craig Mitchell, a 25 yard free kick from Mark Dudley, a penalty converted by Ryan Williams and then the inevitable goal from ‘Super Sub’ Carl Haslam made it a great day for the Mansfield side.

The writing was possibly on the wall or the team-sheets when Winterton declared only 2 subs on the day.  With a heavy defeat in midweek there seemed an acceptance that it was going to be another difficult 90 minutes for the Lincolnshire side.

The first chance on goal came in the first 5 minutes with a delightful cross from Ryan Williams that Jake Rotherham turned around the post for a corner.  At this point Winterton were having their fair share of the ball and Josh Batty fired over the bar from the edge of the box on 6 minutes.

Craig Mitchell fired wide on 12 minutes before The Bulls took the lead a minute late.  Mitchell flicked a header into the path of Dean Rick who held off his marker before firing a low drive past Danny Minshall from 15 yards to open the scoring.

Joe Cheeseman was bundled over 25 yards out in the 25th minute and Mark Dudley stepped to curl the free kick around the wall and into the bottom right hand corner with Minshall well beaten.
Another great cross on 28 minutes this time from Jimmy Ghaichem to the far post and Rotherham again turning it away for a corner off the toe of Rick.  However, Rick was not going to be denied and Ryan Williams corner was not dealt with and when the ball dropped to Rick in the 6 yard box he volleyed it into the roof of the net.

The fourth came from the penalty spot on 40 minutes, a handball seen by the referee and Ryan Williams dispatched the spot kick to Minshall’s right.

The 2nd half was only 3 minutes old when the home side made it 5.  Craig Mitchell turning in the box before firing home from 12 yards.

10 minutes later and Mitchell made it 6-0, getting on the end of another great cross from Williams to hit a low drive past the beleaguered Minshall.

Declan Brewin’s pace proved too much for the visitors and moments after coming on the rapid striker was clipped in the box and a penalty was given.  Rick stepped up to fire the spot kick past Minshall to make it 7-0.

The stage was set then for the arrival of ‘Super Sub’ Carl Haslam.  His cross on 72 minutes was slotted home by Decaln Brewin only to be chalked off by a linesman’s flag.

On 75 minutes a long punt forward by Ghaichem found Haslam, his acceleration took him away from the chasing defender and around the advancing keeper before firing home from 10 yards to make it 8-0.

AFC Mansfield: White, Marriott, Dudley (Brewin 67), Allott, Cheeseman, Naylor, Williams, Buxton (Wilson 70), Rick (Haslam 70), Mitchell & Ghaichem.  Subs not used: Sowter & Spencer

Referee: Mr Dean Bradshaw (South Yorks.)
Assistants: Mr Tony Tierney (South Yorks.) & Mr Glynn Kissane (Derbys.)

Attendance: 80

Forest Town Arena Man of the Match: Dean Rick

Tuesday 25th August 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League
Division One
Yorkshire Amateurs 2 – 4 AFC Mansfield
Those that braved the slightly wet conditions were treated to an excellent display of attacking football from both sides.  This was made possible by the superb condition of the Bracken Edge playing surface.

Inside the first 5 minutes The Bulls survived two gilt edged chances from the home side.  Perry Marriott, clearing one effort off the line from Harrison Blakey, and Jason White saving at close range from Dan Sherriffe.

Eventually The Bulls settled down and took the game to the hosts.  Craig Mitchell was quickest to a loose ball after sustained pressure on the home goal.  His low drive found the far corner of the net on 11 minutes to open the scoring.

It didn’t take long for AFC to double their lead, again pressure on the home defence in a move involving Marriott, Ryan Williams and eventually turned past his own keeper by Danny Freeman while attempting to clear.

The Bulls continued to press and a Williams cross was cleared by Tom Rose before Phil Buxton had a low drive again blocked on 25 minutes.

A neat passing move on 40 minutes from the home side was thwarted by White as he dived at the feet of Sherriffe.
On 42 minutes Marriott and Williams linked up down the right flank and Buxton got on the end of Williams cross but his effort was turned around the post by Mark Bowers in the Amateurs goal.

Blakey pulled one back on the stroke of half time , firing a low drive past Whites outstretched hand.

AFC Mansfield restored the 2 goal cushion just 2 minutes into the restart.  A long Joe Cheeseman punt upfield was not dealt with and a mix up between Bowers and Freeman saw Dean Rick glide past them both before firing home from 12 yards.

White had to deal with a well struck 25 yard free kick on 67 minutes, getting his body behind it to collect comfortably. 
The visitors seemed to have it in the bag, Dean Rick headed inches wide from a Declan Brewin cross on 84 minutes.

Buxton was clearly blocked by Sherriffe on 85 minutes but the referee played on.  Buxton took exception to this and earned himself 2 yellow cards in the space of 10 seconds for comments made to the man in the middle.

Amateurs pulled one back on 87 minutes, a simple finish for Joel Hughes after being given space in the box.

Craig Mitchell however sealed the win for 10 men AFC Mansfield, good work from Brewin and Williams feeding Mitchell on the edge of the box the striker found the back of the net with a low drive from the edge of the box.

AFC Mansfield: White, Marriott, Dudley, Allott, Cheeseman, Naylor, Buxton, Rick (Wilson 87), Mitchell, Ghaichem (Brewin 75).  Subs not used: Spencer & Sowter.

Forest Town Arena
Man of the Match
Craig Mitchell
Referee: Mr Jamie Waters (West Yorkshire)
Assistants: Mr Dwayne Chappell (West Yorkshire) & Mr Callum Gough (South Yorkshire)

Attendance: 50

Man of the Match: Craig Mitchell

Saturday 22nd August 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One
Westella VIP 0 – 3 AFC Mansfield
The Bulls were looking to get back to winning ways after a disappointing midweek home draw.  What better game to choose than against old CML rivals and newly promoted  Westella VIP.

AFC were missing Phil Buxton and Brad Wilson and handed a debut to Reece Lucas signed from Buxton FC.

We had to wait until the 13th minute for the first chance on goal and it was Lucas on target from 20 yards.  Keeper Liam Taylor could only parry the shot and Craig Mitchell was first to the loose ball.  Forced wide and with the keeper recovering the striker lifted it over Taylor but also over the bar.

The Bulls had the ball in the back of the net on 25 minutes, scrambled home by Chris Timons the goal however chalked off for a push.  Two minutes later and Dean Rick saw his header tipped over the bar by Taylor as the visitors continued to push.

On a scorching day the referee quite sensibly called a water break on the half hour mark.  Straight after this debutant Lucas limped off to be replaced by Declan Brewin.

Ryan Williams rattled the crossbar from a 20 yard free kick with Taylor well beaten.

Plenty of goalmouth action in the home box but on 40 minutes Jason White did well to save from Chris Spinks after the striker had got in behind The Bulls back line.

Early pressure in the 2nd half from AFC as Mitchell’s initial effort was blocked, Rick’s follow up was turned around for a corner and then Grant Allott saw his header saved by Taylor.

The pressure was mounting against the home side as they picked a couple of bookings up trying to stop the waves of attacks now coming forwards.  Most notably Jimmy Ghaichem was terrorising the Westella right back who was forced to body check the wingman to stop him.

James Chadburn saw his effort beat White but it also cleared the bar on 68 minutes.

The breakthrough came on 76 minutes when a Ryan Williams corner was met by the head of Perry Marriott for his first goal for the club.  After all the hard work by Westella in keeping the visitors at bay it all fell apart quite quickly for them.  Carl Haslam was introduced up front and his first action saw him booked for a challenge on the keeper.  His second was to volley home from 15 yards after a superb headed through ball from Mitchell on 79 minutes.

It was definitely all over for the home side when James Williamson aimed a wild kick at Ghaichem as he went to head the ball to give the visitors a penalty kick.  Ryan Williams stepped up and fired the ball past the keeper to his right to complete the scoring.

AFC Mansfield: White, Cheeseman (Marriott 69), Dudley, Allott, Timons (c), Naylor, Williams, Lucas R (Brewin 31), Rick (Haslam 75), Ghaichem.  Subs not used: Lucas B & Spencer.

Forest Town Arena
Man of the Match
Jimmy Ghaichem
Referee: Mr David Jones (Lincs.)
Assistants: Mr Ryan Lowe (Lincs.) & Mr Neil Wheeler (Lincs.)

Attendance: 33

Man of the Match: Jimmy Ghaichem

Wednesday 19th August 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League Division One
AFC Mansfield 1 – 1 Rossington Main
‘Parking the bus’ would aptly describe Rossington’s game plan and although they were playing for a draw the plan nearly yielded all three points.  Montelle Kamara’s opening goal could so easily have been the winner on 68 minutes.  But, three minutes later Craig Mitchell spared The Bulls blushes with his second goal of the season.

The first half was literally all AFC Mansfield; the visitors sat deep and invited the hosts on.  The chances came thick and fast with Jimmy Ghaichem heading wide on 5 minutes and Dean Rick doing the same after 9 minutes.  The ball was put in the Rossington box a lot but they stood firm to frustrate the home side.   Craig Mitchell fired wide just on the half hour mark and had another effort saved by Simon Dye in the visitors goal.

Dye was in action again moments later when he easily held a Ryan Williams free kick as the half came to an end goalless.

Both Williams and Mitchell both went close at the start of the 2nd half as The Bulls looked for a breakthrough.  On 52 minutes AFC Mansfield created a move in which they had 18 passes without the opposition touching the ball. It eventually dropped to Mitchell on the edge of the box, his rasping drive went inches wide of the right hand post.  Ghaichem and Rick both put good chances wide of the target just before the hour mark.

On a rare break the visitors went in front on 68 minutes when Montelle Kamara drilled a low effort from the edge of the box past Jason White.  But 3 minutes later Craig Mitchell bought the scores level firing home from close range after more pressure on the Rossington goal.

Grant Allott headed over from a Williams corner and another header was hooked off the line on 80 minutes.  Despite dominating the game The Bulls had to settle for a draw and Rossington’s game plan worked perfectly for them.

AFC Mansfield: White, Wilson, Dudley, Allott, Timons (c), Naylor, Williams, Buxton, Rick, Mitchell, Ghaichem.  Subs not used: Brewin, Marriott, Lucas, Homer & Cheeseman
Forest Town Arena
Man of the Match
Craig Mitchell

Referee: Mr Colin Bailey
Assistants: Mr Gareth Davies & Mr Tom Knight

Attendance: 77

Man of the Match: Craig Mitchell


The Emirates FA Cup—Extra Preliminary Round
Saturday 15th August 2015
South Normanton Athletic 2—1 AFC Mansfield

The Bulls crashed out of the FA Cup at the first attempt at Lees Lane on Saturday.  Losing to the odd goal in three in a tightly fought game where the home side battled for 90 minutes and deserved a place in the next round.

It was a hugely frustrating day for all concerned at AFC Mansfield, the team rarely showed the football that was so dominant the week before at Bottesford.

In the opening half hour the Normanton keeper had to punch several dangerous ball away from goal.  His skills with a clenched fist were going to get him into trouble later in the half.  Lots of cut and thrust and plenty of wayward passing from both sides along with some needless free-kicks.

The flashpoint came on 40 minutes when Ryan Williams put a dangerous free-kick into the box.  Captain Chris Timons challenged for the ball along with the home keeper Steve Smith.  Smith fell on top of Timons and then proceded to land half a dozen punches on The Bulls Captain. 

Timons had no choice but to defend himself.  After a lengthy meeting between all 3 officials the referee sent both players off.  A decision that was harsh on Timons as he was the one that was assaulted.

Both teams had to reshuffle and 2 minutes later Dean Rick thought he had broke the deadlock heading a Williams corner against the post.  At the other end with just the keeper to beat Luke Crosby fired wide of the target.

Danny Naylor saw his effort go wide of the mark on 52 minutes after the home side had spurned of couple of half chances at the beginning of the 2nd half.

South Normanton took the lead on 54 minutes, a corner from the right was flicked on by Crosby and Kane Jellyman ghosted in on the far post to fire home.

The Bulls were back on level terms on 66 minutes.  Danny Naylor rounded the keeper and looked to have scored but his effort hit the underside of the bar.  The home defence failed to clear properly and the ball fell to Craig Mitchell who fired a looping drive over the keeper from 12 yards and into the net.

Wilson and Williams linked up well to feed Mitchell in the box on 70 minutes.  The strikers neat turn took him past his marker but he fires wide of the far post with the keeper beaten.

Buxton had his rasping drive saved on 75 minutes after good work from Ghaichem and Wilson.

A goal to win any game from Shane Newton on 76 minutes.  Although given the time and space just outside the box the finish was sublime curved over and round Jason White from 20 yards.

Craig Mitchell hit the side netting on 82 minutes from a tight angle after good work from Brewin.

Although the visitors put the home goal under pressure it stood firm and South Normanton now face Lincoln United in the next round.

A quick turnaround for AFC as they face Rossington Main on Wednesday night at The Forest Town Arena for the first home game of the season.

Forest Town Arena
Man of the Match
Mark Dudley
AFC Mansfield: White, Cheeseman, Dudley, Allott, Timons ( C), Naylor, Williams, Buxton, Rick (Mitchell 58), Lucas (Wilson 55), Ghaichem (Brewin 76).  Subs not used: Haslam, Marriott & Hartshorn.

Referee: Mr Joshua Bramhall (Sth Yorks.)

Attendance: 95

Forest Town Arena Man of the Match: Mark Dudley

Saturday 8th August 2015
The Toolstation Northern Counties East League
Division One
Bottesford Town 0 - 2 AFC Mansfield
AFC Mansfield got off to a winning start with an excellent 2-0 away win at Bottesford Town.  Goals from Phil Buxton and Grant Allott did the damage, both in the 2nd half.

The first half saw both sides tentatively feeling each other out.  The goal scoring opportunities came in the first 15 minutes of the game when on 9 minutes a 20 yard Danny Naylor rasping drive was well held by Bottesford keeper Leigh Herrick low and down to his right.  5 minutes later and it was Herrick again to the rescue finger tipping a Jimmy Ghaichem cross off the head of Dean Rick.

The rest of the half turned into a war of attrition as both sides tried to stamp their authority on the game.  Not surprisingly the teams went in level at the break.

Bottesford started the 2nd half the better of the two sides.  Jason White had to be at his best to turn Scott Wilby’s effort around the post on 50 minutes.  The home sides dominance lasted just 10 minutes, The Bulls worked their way into the game and Herrick had to save bravely at Dean Rick’s feet.  The keeper received a knock for his efforts but after treatment was able to carry on.

AFC Mansfield thought they had took the lead on 65 minutes after a good move involving Buxton, Ryan Williams and Ghaichem set up Rick for a shot on goal.  The ball was heading for the top corner but that man Herrick threw himself to his right and managed to tip the ball over the bar.

The Bulls finally got the breakthrough on 67 minutes.  Naylor threaded a superb ball to Buxton who rode the challenge of a defender before slipping the ball under the advancing Herrick from 14 yards.

The away side then doubled their advantage 3 minutes later when a Mark Dudley corner was only half cleared.  The ball dropped to Grant Allott on the edge of the box and with some nimble footwork danced around two defenders before smashing the ball into the top left hand corner leaving the keeper rooted to the spot.
Rick had the chance to make it 3 on 77 minutes when he raced clear and into the box.  As he rounded Herrick the keeper clipped his legs.  To Rick’s credit he stayed on his feet but the challenge had sent him wide of the goal and he could only hit the side-netting with his shot.

Declan Brewin on as a late substitute was terrorising the Bottesford back four with his blistering pace and earned The Bulls a free kick 2 minutes before the end.  A Ryan Williams 20 yard effort took a deflection off the wall and had Herrick scurrying his box to see the ball go inches wide of the right hand post.

An entertaining game for the neutrals and both teams will be challenging at the top of the table come the end of the season.
Bottesford Town:  Herrick, Gibbons, Short, Martin, Johnson, Barwick (C), Wilby (Cross 79), Ridley, Pembleton (Bonsor 82), Helliwell (Boulton 74), Graves.  Subs not used: Robinson & Newton.

Man of the Match
AFC Mansfield: White, Cheeseman (Wilson 74), Allott, TImons (C), Naylor, Williams, Buxton, Rick (Brewin 84), Lucas, Ghaichem.  Subs not used: Smith, Haslam & Hartshorn.
Referee:Mr Thomas Cadman (Lincs.)

Assistants: Mr Arron Mallender (Notts.) & Mr Patrick Wyatt (Sth Yorks.)

Attendance: 89

Man of the Match: Phil Buxton

No comments:

Post a Comment